Boyd off San Pedro in a completion photo, 22 May 1943.
Boyd (DD 544) was launched on 29 October 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, California; sponsored by Mrs. C. W. Styer; and commissioned on 8 May 1943, Lieutenant Commander U. S. G. Sharp in command.

As a unit of the Pacific Fleet, Boyd departed for Pearl Harbor on 14 July 1943, where she was joined over the next months by Bradford, Brown and Cowell, which together formed Destroyer Division 92 in Destroyer Squadron 46. After additional training, Boyd took part in the occupation of Baker Island (1 September 1943) and then joined the fast carriers as a screening vessel for the Wake Island raid (5–6 October) and the Gilbert Islands landings (19 November–8 December). During the bombardment of Nauru Island (8 December) Boyd was damaged by a Japanese shore battery while on a rescue mission. As a result she had to return to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, for repairs.

Following repairs, Boyd arrived at Pearl Harbor on 23 March 1944. She joined Task Force 58 for the Hollandia landings (21–24 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (29 April–1 May); Saipan landings (11–24 June); 1st Bonins raid (15–16 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19–20 June); 2d Bonins raid (24 June); 3d Bonins raid (3–4 July); invasion of Guam (12 July–15 August); Palau-Yap-Ulithi raid (25–27 July); 4th Bonins raid (4–5 August); occupation of the southern Palaus (9–24 September); and Morotai landings (15 September). She then joined TF 38 for the strikes against Okinawa (10 October), northern Luzon and Formosa (11–14 October), and Luzon (15 October), which preceded the Leyte landings. After taking part in the Battle for Leyte Gulf (24–25 October), she screened the carriers launching strikes against Luzon (5–6, 13–14 and 19–25 November).

Between 31 December 1944 and 22 January 1945 Boyd served as an escort vessel. She took part in the bombardment of Iwo Jima (24 January) and in its occupation (19 February–1 March). She arrived off Okinawa on 25 March and remained there on screening duty until 30 June. She then rejoined the Third Fleet for strikes against the Japanese home islands (10 July–7 August). One of the first vessels to return to the United States after the Japanese surrender, Boyd departed Okinawa 7 September and underwent overhaul at Mare Island Navy Yard (25 September–28 November). She then moved to San Diego, arriving on 14 January 1946, where she was placed out of commission in reserve on 15 January 1947.

Recommissioned on 24 November 1950, the Boyd reported to the Pacific Fleet. Following training off the West Coast, she departed for Korea on 28 May 1951. There she was attached to Task Force 77 and the Formosa Strait Patrol until she returned to San Diego on 21 December 1951. A second Koren tour lasted from 12 July 1952 to 16 February 1953.

Over the next 16 years, Boyd continued operating along the West Coast and made three Far Eastern tours. On 1 October 1969, she was decommissioned and transferred to the Turkish Navy, in which she served as TCG Iskenderun (D-343) until 1981, when she was retired and scrapped.

Boyd earned 11 service stars during World War II and five during the Korean War.