Bennett (DD 473) after modifications, August 1945.
In 1945, Fletchers returning stateside for modification received an “emergency Kamikaze refit” in which the two midships 40mm twin Bofors were replaced by quads. As the after stack platform above the quad gun tubs was no longer suitable for directors, the directors were moved to an elevated platform between the stacks; the forward bank of torpedo tubes was removed to make room. In the summer of 1945, some 40mm quads mounted their own radar:
Primary: 5 x 5-inch/38 cal. in five single mounts
Long-range anti-aircraft: 14 x 40mm Bofors in three twin and two quad mounts
Short-range anti-aircraft: 12 x 20mm Oerlikon in six twin mounts
Torpedo Tubes: 5 x 21-inch in one quintuple mount
ASW: 2 racks for 600-lb. charges; 6 “K”-guns for 300-lb. charges