USS Purdy was laid down at Bath Iron Works. Named for Strong’s executive officer, LCdr. Frederick W. Purdy, she was sponsored at her launch on 7 May 1944 by his widow and commissioned 18 July 1944.

Purdy served in World War II until, off Okinawa on 12 April 1945, she and Cassin Young were attacked by a formation of about 30 planes. One was splashed close aboard but its momentum carried it into the ship, killing 15 and wounding 25.

Repaired and returned to service immediately after the war was over, Purdy continued to serve through the Korean War and thereafter until she was stricken from the navy list on 2 July 1973 and broken up.


On 25 July 1943, less than three weeks after Strong was lost, a new USS Strong was laid down at Bethlehem Steel Company, San Francisco. At her launch 23 April 1944, she was sponsored by the same Mrs. Hobart Olson that sponsored the 467.

An Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer like Purdy, she commissioned 8 March 1945 and served in the US Navy until 31 October 1973, when she was transferred to Brazil as Rio Grande do Norte.