Bristol (DD 453), January 1943.
—mid-July to mid-October 1941—elapsed between the commissioning of the last of the original 24 ships, Ingraham
, and the first repeat ship, Bristol
. The two differened little in appearance—both carried a crow’s nest on the mast, 0.50 cal. machine guns as anti-aircraft armament, and ten torpedo tubes and a searchlight mounted on a high superstructure aft, carryovers from the original design. But Bristol
completed with only four 5-inch guns.
Armament for the first 24 “Bristols” preserved this arrangement: five tubes and four guns, with a 1.1-inch cannon and one 20mm Oerlikon aft as additional 20mm single mounts replaced the 0.50 cal. machine guns.