Strong (DD 467) as built.
The 1.1-inch cannon was not a satisfactory weapon as it tended to overheat and malfunction. At the same time, 40mm twin Bofors became available in limited numbers. Beginning with Strong (above), the fourth 2,100-tonner completed at Bath Iron Works, and Fletcher at Federal, Fletchers completed in 1942 mounted two twin 40mm; one replacing the 1.1-inch cannon between the “53” and “54” 5-inch mounts and the other on the fantail in a gun tub between the depth charge racks with a director right aft:
Primary: 5 x 5-inch/38 cal. in five single mounts
Long-range anti-aircraft: 4 x 40mm Bofors in two twin mounts
Short-range anti-aircraft: 6 to 13 x 20mm Oerlikon in single mounts
Torpedo Tubes: 10 x 21-inch in two quintuple mounts
ASW: 2 racks for 600-lb. charges; 6 “K”-guns for 300-lb. charges