On 1 January 1917,
before there was expectation that the United States would participate in the Great War under way in Europe, the Atlantic Fleet was organized as a Battleship Force (with no destroyers attached), a Patrol Force (organized as six squadrons, with a division of destroyers attached to each one) and a Destroyer Force (organized as Flotilla Three with three destroyer divisions attached).
All 52 of the US Navy’s flivver and 1,000-ton torpedo boat destroyers were attached to the Atlantic Fleet. Thirty-four were assigned to the Patrol Force1 as follows:
(attached to SQUADRON ONE)
Smith, Flusser, Lamson, Preston and Reid.
(attached to SQUADRON TWO)
Walke, Monaghan, Perkins, Roe, Sterett and Terry.
(attached to SQUADRON THREE)
Warrington, Henley, Beale, Patterson and Mayrant (which was out of commission).
(attached to SQUADRON FOUR)
Cummings, Ammen, Jarvis, Burrows, McCall and Fanning.
(attached to SQUADRON FIVE)
Cassin, Jouett, Trippe, Jenkins, Drayton and Paulding.
(attached to SQUADRON SIX)
Balch, Benham, Aylwin, Parker, Downes and Duncan.
The remaining 18 destroyers—the Navy’s newest—were assigned to the Destroyer Force1 as follows (Allen and Shaw were not commissioned until 24 January and 9 April 1917 respectively):
The O’Brien class: Ericsson, O’Brien, McDougal, Cushing, Nicholson and Winslow.
The Tucker class: Wadsworth, Conyngham, Jacob Jones, Porter, Tucker and Wainwright.
The Sampson class: Allen, Davis, Rowan, Sampson, Shaw and Wilkes.